Have you recently gotten a robocall from an unknown caller who asked “can you hear me now”? If you have, the Federal Trade Commission is advising people on what you should do.
The federal agency says they’ve received hundreds of reports of people who have gotten these types of illegal calls. Here’s some tips on what you should do if you get a call from someone asking “Can you hear me?”:
- Don’t respond, just hang up. If you get a call, don’t press 1 to speak to a live operator or any other number to be removed from the list. If you respond in any way, it will probably just lead to more robocalls – and they’re likely to be scams.
- Contact your phone provider. Ask your phone provider what services they provide to block unwanted calls.
- Put your phone number on the Do Not Call registry. Access the registry online or by calling 1-888-382-1222. Callers who don’t respect the Do Not Call rules are more likely to be crooks.
- File a report with BBB Scam Tracker. Consumers can go BBB Scam Tracker to warn others of potential frauds and scams in their community.
- File a complaint with the FTC. Report the experience online or call 1-877-382-4357.