Has someone recently come to your home and tried to sign you up for a free security system? You may not be alone.
BBB has recently heard of reports in San Antonio and Austin about door-to-door salespeople and robocalls that have offered a free security system if the consumer signs up for security monitoring with ADT.
However, ADT has told BBB that they are currently unaware of any promotion from them or authorized third-party dealers offering a free system in exchange for signing up for monitoring.
Summer is a common time for scammers to pose as home security sales representatives since homeowners are more likely to be there to answer during the day.
So what’s the danger? You could end up giving away your personal and financial information to a stranger. Even worse, the scammer could also be a potential burglar who is scoping your house.
Here are some other tips you want to be aware of:
- Know who you are buying from. Before you open your door or let anyone into your home, ask to see a photo ID, business card and some proof of the business they’re representing. Also, ask for a physical address and for local references.
- Don’t give out information. If someone knocks on your door or calls you out of the blue, don’t give them any personal or financial information. If you want to take advantage of a promotion, contact the business directly.
- Do your research. Look up the business online and get references from your friends, family, neighbors or from the company’s current clients. For a business you can trust, check out BBB’s Accredited Business directory at checkbbb.org.
- Resist pressure to “buy now.” One sign of a security system scam is a sales representative that may pressure their way into your home and then refuse to leave. Don’t be pressured to take advantage of a time-sensitive offer, like “once in a lifetime” or “today only.” Take time to decide and ask for a sales representative’s business card to get more information at a later time.
- Get written estimates. Ask plenty of questions, and find out who will perform the installation and monitor the system. Remember, don’t let anyone who hasn’t made an appointment into your home. If an estimation or installation needs to be done, call the business directly to make an appointment.