Better Business Bureau (BBB) serving Central, Coastal, Southwest Texas and the Permian Basin offers tips for keeping your identity safe
Identity theft is one of the most common crimes to strike consumers and is growing in frequency. As part of National Consumer Protection Week (NCPW), your BBB is shedding light on ways to protect yourself. There were more than 25,000 reported cases of identity theft in Texas last year, according to the latest 2014 Consumer Sentinel Network report issued by the Federal Trade Commission.
BBB offers the following advice for keeping your identity safe:
- Shred all offers you receive in the mail.
- Never put your social security number on a personal check.
- Never sign a blank credit card receipt.
- Check out a business first with BBB.
- Keep records of all credit card numbers in a locked secure place.
- Never provide personal information over the phone, unless you know who you’re talk to.
Check out our NCPW Resource page for more helpful tips!