BBB offers tips for selecting a trustworthy travel agency
A travel agency can make the process of booking your spring vacation quick and painless, but choosing the wrong agency can turn your dream vacation into a nightmare. Your Better Business Bureau is advising consumers to do their research before booking their next vacation.
Follow this advice from your BBB to ensure your trip will be memorable for all the right reasons:
- Use a travel company you trust. Ask family and friends to recommend a company they’ve used and go to bbb.org to see the company’s BBB Business Review. You can also utilize BBB Member Pages to find a BBB Accredited Business to work with.
- Get all vacation details in writing. Get all the details of your vacation in writing, including travel itineraries and booking confirmations. Get a copy of the company’s cancellation and refund policies, and ask questions.
- Verify reservations. Get the contact information for the airline, car rental company and hotel you’ll be using. Call to confirm all arrangements.
- Consider travel insurance. Travel insurance is designed to cover such things as trip cancellations or medical emergencies. Before purchasing any type of travelers insurance check your homeowner’s or medical insurance policies to see what is already covered.
- Pay with a credit card. Paying with a credit card gives you additional protections should something go wrong with the travel reservation.
- Be on the alert for travel scams. Unsolicited mail, email and faxes offering deeply discounted travel packages could leave you out a vacation and money if you’re not careful.