Summer is just around the corner, and soon homeowners will be relying on their air conditioners to beat the heat. Better Business Bureau suggests homeowners ensure their air conditioners work all summer by scheduling an AC tune-up. BBB has these tips to help you find a trustworthy contractor:
- Consult your owner’s manual. Before doing anything, check the warranty on your current air conditioning unit to determine whether any tune-ups, repairs or replacements may be covered.
- Research the company. Visit bbb.org for the Business Review of any AC service company you plan to hire to learn details about the company, like its history of complaints. Visit checkbbb.org for a list of Accredited Businesses.
- Check Licensing. The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation requires a license for HVAC technicians and electricians. Ask to see a copy of the license before work starts.
- Compare prices. Get at least three estimates in writing. All bids should provide a full description of the services provided and the materials used.
- Review warranty coverage. If the company offers any type of warranty or guarantee, make certain you understand the terms and conditions of the coverage.
- Ask about energy efficiency. Many new air conditioning units are manufactured to be significantly more energy efficient than others, which often qualifies you for tax deductions. If you find yourself in need of a new unit, make sure you get the necessary paperwork to cash in on those savings.