What to do if you don’t have your W-2

Employers were supposed to issue W-2s to their employees by Jan. 31. If your employer has missed that deadline, and you still need to file your taxes, the IRS has some advice.

First, contact your employer (or former employer). The problem may be as simple as a wrong address or other paperwork error. Make sure the employer has all your information correct and ask for another copy.

If contacting your employer does not yield a W-2, contact the IRS. From the IRS’s release:

After February 14, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 if you have not yet received your W-2. Be prepared to provide your name, address, Social Security number and phone number. You should also have the following information when you call:

  • Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
  • Your employment dates; and
  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2012, based upon your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if available.

If you still don’t have your W-2 by the April 15 filing deadline, file your taxes anyway. You can use Form 4852 to estimate your income and withholding taxes.

BBB recommends consumers keep their paycheck stubs until they receive their W-2. In the event you don’t receive your W-2, those stubs will help you get better estimates on Form 4852. You can also request an extension using Form 4868, but you must do so by April 15.

To obtain any tax forms or other tax information, visit IRS.gov or call 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

One Comment

  1. Great article! And one that strongly hits home in the household employment industry. One thing to keep in mind is that if you do file Form 4852, you should let your employer know they could be audited. The form essentially tells the government you have not had any taxes withheld from your pay and they will most likely want to contact your employer to figure out why this never happened.

Comments are closed.