Beware of White Wedding invitation phishing scam

scam-alert-pic-150x150Have you received a wedding invitation email with a link in it from someone you don’t know? Or someone you’re not sure if you know? DON’T click the link. This is a widespread phishing scam going around right now. A consumer alerted us about it and a quick web search found a lot of people talking about it in various forums.

The invitation comes from a “wedding agent” and contains the following:

“Please share our joy and be present at our wedding ceremony followed by a reception on Tuesday October 1st at Four O’clock
The full text of the invitation may be read here. If the link are not working, please move the message to”Inbox” folder.”

The messages contain a copyright notice from White Wedding Agency.

If you click the link, your computer will be infected with a virus designed to steal your personal information. Don’t click the link and make sure your anti-virus software is up to date.

This entry was posted in Scams, Technology and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Beware of White Wedding invitation phishing scam

1. G Fields says:

I thought something odd was going on. This comes to my two yahoo email accounts on a daily basis. I wonder if there’s a way to block them??

2. shersher says:

what do you do if you did click it????

3. Stanley says:

This is a strange coincidence. My wife’s coworker is getting married on Dec.10. The email invite I received is dated for Dec.10 as well. I clicked on the link and nothing much happened; a blank screen with an “unscribe” was present so I don’t know what to expect next.

I did a scan with my Norton and no problems were detected.

I consider myself a very close-minded materialist skeptic by nature, but it was unusual to get this invite dated the same time my wife’s friend is getting married.

• Robert says:

I know a couple of “closed-minded materialists” that are really bad judges of character and they’re not the sharpest knives in the drawer. How could any intelligent person in this day and age just assume that “they’ve been invited to a wedding” via an email without doing a simple Google search to find out the legitimacy of the email they’ve received? The first “email invite” that I received I knew was a bunch of horse manure! Use some common sense people!!! Everyday my email box has four or five of those Nigerian money transfer scams in it. Those email scams wouldn’t exist if there were more people who applied some thought rather than emotions with those emails. I consider myself objective, inquisitive, and open-minded and an excellent judge of character. I never fall for any of that sensationalized rot in emails, etc.

4. Tara L. says:

I got this email today, it was in my spam folder. Luckily I never open anything I’m not sure of. I do know a lot of people with weddings coming up so I could see how people could think it was a real invite.

• Yea, this just happened to me. I was waiting for a proof on my daughter’s invitation and thinking it was the proof, I opened it. I have a mac so hopefully I haven’t been compromised.

• Miles Veteranus says:

Here is the deal with a MAC, YOU are just as vulnerable as WINDOWS users. NO kidding. I work in the this field, what you are not vulnerable to are WINDOWS viruses. But in most cases now days its an application layer exploit, MEANING IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT OS YOU are running. Good luck

5. Gale says:

I received this e-mail on10/24. The wedding appeared to be of a dentist on December 10. I do have a friend getting married in December, but I didn’t open it.

6. Jason says:

I received this, but certainly didn’t open it. HOPEFULLY I don’t know anyone classless enough to actually send wedding invitations by email. And if I did, I doubt I’d want to go to their wedding. Thanks for the heads up.

7. glynda says:

mine was from mahobay@maho.org, yep white wedding invitation….i had to buy upgrade to my norton to remove……………….

8. Joanne says:

I got this email today.. Nov. 1 and I researched and found this link. Thanks for information
    I sent the email to my internet provider.

9. Corinne says:

I received this email today and opened it on my smartphone. Am I in trouble, since most everything I do via the internet is done on my phone?

10. Tony says:

what about IPHONES? does it affect it too??

• I can’t say 100 percent that it’s impossible, but an iPhone is definitely less likely to catch a virus than an android phone. Looking it up, there is disagreement about how much potential there is for viruses on iPhones. Apparently it’s not a big problem now, but cybercriminals are doing what they can to get into them, so it might be a bigger problem eventually. One thing I read said they are more at risk if you jailbreak them (make them usable on another network than the one you bought them for).

• Bryan says:

No, iPhones can not run unsigned code unless they are Jailbroken or if you are running an iOS version with a user land jailbreak exploit such as 4.3 through 4.3.3.

I have a ton of this crap going through my mail server right now and tracking down every user and getting them to clean their android device or PC is troublesome, more-so if it’s an android tablet or PC because you can’t make a backup first as you would just be reinstalling the apk.

11. Sarah says:

Thank for you the information. Very helpful. Are there virus scans for iPhones in case you do open a phishing email like the white wedding one on your iPhone? Thanks!

• From everything I’ve read, viruses are not really an issue yet for iPhones, unless you jailbreak your phone so you can use it with another phone company than you bought it for.

12. CDenton says:

Luckily I did not open the link. If someone I knew was getting married, and was sending an email invite, I would not have to click a link to get the info.
    Mine came from this email address: Wedding Agent Michael Dixon (jude@gnp-global.com) &
    The link leads to: (deleted some parts for safety) new.free-dom.by/msg.php?invite

13. miss hope says:

I have learned in this day & time to Google everything first. Oh well…,another address added to my Block List.

14. Pingback: BLAINESWORLD #893 (being edited; please don’t comment until I post this when issue comes out) | My Blog

15. Jeff G. says:

I’ve also been getting these for a while now on my iPad. I have never and hopefully will never accidentally or otherwise click on a link provided but I’m so fed up w/all the crap I get (I cdve been a gazillionaire by now) that I sent an e-mail back using a lot of words that I cdnt. possibly write here. Either it went to a boiler room somewhere where they don’t speak English….or they’re so p.o.’d at me that they’ll try even harder to get my personal info.

16. Cassandra says:

Thanks for this, I just received the email and thought it was strange. Did not click anything thing but decided to research the invite. THANK GOODNESS, I found this article. Thanks will pass it on.

17. Chippy says:

Some day us Mac users will “get it.” I am running Mac, and I clicked the link, just to see what it was. Maybe some day, my fearless internet browsing will end.

18. Sybl Garcia says:

I did stupidly click, even though I nearly never do. It had a location where I know a lot of people and I was expecting a wedding invite from someone. Oops. Immediate affect was my computer attempting to send “Whats App Messages” to recipients I don’t know, and I got about 10 notifications a minute that my messages were blocked for various reasons. I ran a system restore and that has stopped the messages to me.

19. Toni Vee says:

I just received a wedding invitation for “Agent Jacob Sheppard”. Since I’m a Federal Officer, I actually assumed I probably knew him, but also thought, “what a tacky way to invite people to a wedding”, so I decided to look it up online. I’m so glad I did, especially because I was going to open it on my phone. I thought my email did a better job of filtering garbage from garbage, but I guess not.
    Thank you for sharing this information with the public!

20. fallawayay says:

Thanks for verifying. Am glad these ‘invites’ landed in my spam folder. Nonetheless, I admit (!) it crossed my mind, to consider opening because I didn’t put it past someone to send a wedding ‘Evite’. What caught my attention though was the main caption/ header said: ‘blah blah…. wedding will be “IN” Dec 10th…’, that seemed like a hunkin’ (grammar 101) blunder (clue ??) for such an occasion.

21. Leigh Ann says:

I work at a very small church preschool. It looks like the email address attached to our preschool’s website is actually sending these dangerous invites out! I have received over 650 mail delivery failures with the invite attached. Who knows how many were delivered successfully! How do I fix this?

22. Sean says:

My mom got this e-mail and, unfortunately, clicked the link. Ever since then, her antivirus software has been randomly popping up saying it blocked suspicious software from running in her appdata/local folder. The antivirus claims it gets rid of the threat every time, but then it pops up again a few hours later. I’ve tried running a full system scan with several different anti-virus/anti-malware programs and none of them detect anything in the scan. The fact that her AV keeps popping up at random times says to me there must still be part of the virus left that is re-creating the threat and not being detected by her antivirus. Does anyone know how I can get rid of it completely? I can always format the hard drive but I’d really like to avoid that if possible.

• mike says:

I clicked on the invite and got the virus in oct. I could not change screens. I did an advanced restore using the discs I made when I purchased the computer and restored it to t
      he factory settings like when I bought it . You have to reload all your programs but it worked.

23. Katie says:

Ahh I clicked on it from my iPad as my mother got it and we are looking for wedding invitations she forwarded it to me. What do I do?

24. Maxine says:

Great I clicked the link! Without thinking now is my information going to be taken of my iPhone I have read that it’s used to phish information of computers but if I clicked in link in my mobile can they still gain my information, really worried now please help

Maxine

• From everything I’ve read, it’s not a big threat for iPhones, unless you jailbreak your phone for use with another phone company than you bought it for. There will probably come a day when viruses will become a problem for Mac products though, so I would get in a habit of avoiding suspicious links in the future even on an iPhone.

25. jay says:

i also know someone getting married soon … and clicked on the link on my i pad mini. it led to a 404 error code. i then googled the ‘white wedding agency’ and read the bad news. i called apple and the tech there (very nice people, by the way) told me that as long as i didn’t give any information, they couldn’t get any information. whew.

26. Jerry McDaniel says:

Received the same invitation today but noticed that it was from Agent Ethan Hunt…who just happened to be Tom Cruise’s character in Mission Impossible…opened the email but didn’t click on the link…just deleted it…

27. Osborn Kwarteng Adu says:

Well, I unfortunately clicked it and now my pc has been infected. I can’t put it on, it restarts itself anytime i try. Anyhelp?